My Constellations

Monday, April 03, 2006

Something happened when we’re a child

One thing that you should do with children is story telling. Unfortunately, I don’t have any story to be told for my 2 nieces. Beside story like Cinderella, Snow White, or any local story are too common. I think my mom and dad have done this job well for them. Since their parent are working, mom & dad baby sit them at home.
So what I’m gonna do just standard action such as play a PC game with them. They love Insaniquarium Deluxe, feeding fish game.


"My 1st and 2rd niece from my 1st sister"

"My 3rd niece from my 2nd sister"


One day, my 4 year niece points a Milky Way poster then she said “Anty, what is that?”
Aha!! This is gonna be a story to be told. I grab my book about “Night Sky”. I talk about nebula, galaxy, sun, planets, and any other celestial objects. She’s interested. She’s amazed. Her eyes wide-open when I talk about asteroid hit earth. That face come up because of my story or I’m too expressive that actually make her scared. I don’t know... The next day, she asked me to tell more about planets. I start rewind the story about solar system. Suddenly, she can tell me a solar system member from Sun until Pluto, in the right order. I thought there must be their parent told her to complete my story. So I asked her mom, “Did you tell her about solar system?”. She said, “No!. What did you do to my daughter? She talked about something ... like nebula and stuff at home”. Ups....

So many articles said that children brain just like a dry sponge. They can easily absorb anything: vocabulary, behavior, dialect. Now I know and realized it. Coz when I was a child, I think I never show my parent about this “dry sponge theory”. Life flows like a river. I’m too busy to do outdoor playing with bunch of children around my age. I go to school, do my homework, and the rest of it would be play with my friends.

Kid’s world should be playing, but we must dig their potential as early as possible. Take the opportunity of their “dry sponge” capability. Coz this ability will be last when they grow up. Another thing we should know is language capability. Children use their instinct to learn language. And the fact that this instinct will be gone when they grow up. This means it would be better for them to learn foreign language when they’re still a child. They will learn syntax and dialect by instinct instead of memorized them. So instinct and learning is a perfect combination to learn language.

Look at me. I learned English (foreign language) when I was 12 years. The sensitive time to active my instinct language has passed. Learning is the only “weapon” I have. I memorized the syntax, vocabulary, and stuff. I memorized how to make the right past, present, and future sentences. It’s not flowing. You need extra effort to learn. I believe there must be some wrong syntax in my blog. That’s why I create a blog to challenge my English ha ha. Even though your English is excellent, but still you have to think when you speak English. It’s not like speaking with mother tongue.

Share/Save/Bookmark

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home